- 1 Apertis v2019.0 Release
- 1.1 Release flow
- 1.2 New features
- 1.3 Build and integration
- 1.4 Quality Assurance
- 1.5 Design and documentation
- 1.6 Deprecations and ABI/API breaks
- 1.7 Infrastructure
- 1.8 Known issues
Apertis v2019.0 Release
Apertis is a Debian derivative distribution geared towards the creation of product-specific images for ARM (both the 32bit ARMv7 and 64-bit ARMv8 versions using the hardfloat ABI) and Intel x86-64 (64-bit) systems.
Apertis v2019.0 is the first LTS stable release of the Apertis v2019 release flow. Apertis is committed to maintain the v2019 release stream until June 2021.
This Apertis release is built on top of Debian Buster with several customisations.
Test results for the v2019.0 release are available in the following test reports:
Point releases including all the security fixes accumulated will be published quarterly, up to v2019.7.
- 2019 Q1: v2019dev0
- 2019 Q2: v2019pre
- 2019 Q3: v2019.0
- 2019 Q4: v2019.1
- 2020 Q1: v2019.2
- 2020 Q2: v2019.3
- 2020 Q3: v2019.4
- 2020 Q4: v2019.5
- 2021 Q1: v2019.6
- 2021 Q2: v2019.7
|Apertis v2019.0 images|
|Intel 64-bit||Intel 64 bit Minimal Image||Intel 64 bit Target Image||Intel 64 bit Base SDK Image||Intel 64 bit SDK Image|
|ARM 32-bit (U-Boot)||ARM 32 bit Minimal Image|
|ARM 64-bit (U-Boot)||ARM 64 bit Minimal Image|
Apertis v2019 repositories
$ deb https://repositories.apertis.org/apertis/ v2019 target development sdk hmi
In this quarter a strong focus has been put on ensuring that the first Apertis LTS release matches the highest standard of quality.
Improvements in our workflows allowed us to import all the latest updates and security fixes from Debian with increased reliability, while continuously testing the resulting images on our hardware lab.
After v2019dev0 was rebased on top of a pre-release version Debian Buster, this release ships all the updates that went in the Debian 10.0 Buster release, plus the security fixes published afterwards.
AppArmor is now fully functional in Apertis again, including the enforcement of the D-Bus mediation rules. This made possible to switch several AppArmor profiles to enforcing mode.
The Apertis AppFW components also saw a flurry of small fixes to ensure they still build with no warnings when using newer and stricter compilers like GCC 8.
Improved support for proxies and authentication in ADE
Sysroot management in the Apertis Development Environment tool now handles HTTP(S) proxy better and provides a more reliable support for HTTP authentication.
A .netrc file can now be used to store authentication credentials in a format understood by many other tools.
Build and integration
GitLab-based packaging workflow improvements
The new workflow introduced in the previous release has matured considerably and is now in full gear.
More than 3800 packages have been imported on the Apertis GitLab instance and are now being used to manage the corresponding objects on OBS.
Every update to any package in Apertis is now handled through the main contribution process, with merge requests and a well defined review workflow.
In this quarter alone, more than 700 merge requests have been processed by the Apertis team to pull updates from Debian, to push new fixes or to land new features.
The new workflow is easier for developers since they can use the tools they are already used to,
git and GitLab, and also because it provides a single, standardized approach to manage all the packages shipped in Apertis.
For maintainers, the new workflow is more reliable, provides more control and simplifies the process of managing multiple branches at the same time.
Improvements to the QA report application
The QA report web application now collects and render results for the tests exercising Apertis in LXC containers as well as those booting Apertis rootfs over NFS.
Since they largely do not overlap with the main suite of tests, they are available in separate reports, just like it has been done before for the images based on OSTree. Small improvements to the report layout also landed in this quarter, combined to parser improvements to better deal with the peculiarities of the data sent by LAVA.
In this quarter results for manual tests have been submitted to the QA application, integrating manual and fully automated results in the same report.
For this release a special effort has been done to update some old tests which failed to cope with some of the changes introduced in the recent cycles.
A few tests involving the creation of custom AppArmor profiles have been updated to deal with a merged-/usr setup as used on the minimal headless images.
Several AppArmor tests have been updated to retrive the audit events directly from the system jounrnal rather than relying on the availability of the
audit.log text file created by
auditd is no longer installed on images by default.
Health checks in Jenkins
With the growth of the number of releases and of parallel active streams, ensuring that everything matches the expectations becomes increasingly more difficult.
The only viable solution to keep the effort under control is to deploy automated, continuous checks that ensure specific invariants are satisfied at any given time.
During this quarter a few new health checks have been deployed:
obs-buildabilityprovides an overview of the packages that failed to build on OBS, so that maintainer can act timely
obs-mismatching-source-requestscatches OBS submit request that upload packages that share the same version of an already existing package but with different contents, which would produce hard to debug issues once published via
repreproon the public APT repositories
packages-syncensures that packages in different releases are aligned and maintainers didn't forget to push an update that should have reached multiple streams
Design and documentation
Apertis release flow and product lines
The whole flow of releases and parallel supported product lines has been extensively detailed in the Release flow and product lines document.
The document describes how Apertis releases are planned and the principles that inform such planning, explaining the relation between Apertis and its upstream distribution (Debian) and the impact that the Apertis release flow has on downstream distributions and, ultimately, on product teams adopting Apertis or any of its derivatives as the baseline for their products.
License expectations and exceptions
All the requirements and expectations regarding the licensing of the components shipped in Apertis are now explicitly documented in the Open source License expectations document, to ensure that both maintainers and users have a clear picture of what Apertis is set to achieve.
The Apertis License exceptions companion document lists the deviations from the general rules, documenting their reasons and the impact they have on users building products on top of Apertis.
GitLab-based packaging workflow documentation
A new document guides maintainers and developers through the new packaging workflow based on GitLab.
Adding downstream changes, landing those changes to the main archive, pulling changes from upstream distributions and other packaging activities are described in detail to ensure that contributions smoothly flow from developers to users.
Deprecations and ABI/API breaks
During this release cycle no new deprecations have been issued. Obsolete or problematic APIs are marked with the ABI break tag as a way to clear technical debt in future.
Apertis Docker registry
The Apertis Docker registry stores Docker images in order to provide a unified and easily reproducible build environment for developers and services.
As of today, this includes the
apertis-documentation-builder Docker images.
Apertis infrastructure tools
The Apertis v2019 infrastructure repository provides packages for the required versions of
ostree for Debian Buster:
deb https://repositories.apertis.org/infrastructure-v2019/ buster infrastructure
Image daily builds, as well as release builds can be found at:
Image build tools can be found in the Apertis tools repositories.
The Image build infrastructure document provides an overview of the image building process and the involved services.
- T6002 RBEI FTBFS: apitrace
- T6092 The gnu-efi package contains files licensed under the BSD-4-Clause license assigned to Intel
- T2043 property changed signal in org.bluez.Network1 is not emiting when PAN disconnects
- T2853 GStreamer playbin prioritises imxeglvivsink over clutterautovideosink
- T2896 Crash when initialising egl on ARM target
- T2930 Develop test case for out of screen events in Wayland images
- T3121 Test apps are failing in Liblightwood with the use of GTest
- T3210 Fix Tracker testcase to not download media files from random HTTP user folders
- T3217 VirtualBox display freezes when creating multiple notifications at once and interacting (hover and click) with them
- T3233 Ribchester: deadlock when calling RemoveApp() right after RollBack()
- T3291 tracker tests: Error creating thumbnails: No poster key found in metadata
- T3319 mx6qsabrelite: linking issue with libgstimxeglvivsink.so and libgstimxvpu.so gstreamer plugins
- T3321 libgles2-vivante-dev is not installable
- T3920 arm-linux-gnueabihf-pkg-config does not work with sysroots installed by `ade`
- T3970 Ensure that the arch:all packages in the archive match the arch-specific versions
- T4092 Containers fail to load on Gen4 host
- T4242 gnutls depends on old abandoned package gmp4 due to licensing reasons
- T4293 Preseed action is needed for Debos
- T4307 ribchester-core causes apparmor denies on non-btrfs minimal image
- T4308 Debos: changes 'resolv.conf' during commands execution chroot
- T4394 gupnp-services: browsing and introspection tests fail
- T4399 dbus-installed-tests: service failed because a timeout was exceeded
- T4409 tracker-indexing-mass-storage test case fails
- T4422 do-branching fails at a late stage cloning OBS binary repos
- T4444 A 2-3 second lag between the speakers is observed when a hfp connection is made over bluetooth
- T4502 SDK hangs when trying to execute bluez-hfp testcase
- T4503 OSTree testsuite hangs the gouda Jenkins build slave
- T4568 Ribchester mount unit depends on Btrfs
- T4660 Eclipse Build is not working for HelloWorld App
- T4693 Not able to create namespace for AppArmor container on the internal mx6qsabrelite images with proprietary kernel
- T4755 Seek/Pause option does not work correctly on YouTube
- T4772 Failed unmounting /var bind mount error seen on shutting down an i.MX6/Minnowboard with Minimal ARM-32/AMD64 image
- T5053 Canterbury needs to explicitly killed to relauch the Mildenhall compositor
- T5128 cgroups-resource-control: cpu-shares test failed
- T5153 tracker-indexing-local-storage: run-test test failed
- T5210 apparmor-tracker: tracker.normal.expected test failed
- T5225 kernel panic occurs when trying to boot an image on i.mx6 revision 1.2 board from LAVA
- T5256 gupnp-services: test_service_introspection test failed
- T5284 gupnp-services: test_service_browsing test failed
- T5292 build failure in liblightwood-2 on 18.06 image
- T5335 """Setup Install to Target"" option is not showing on eclipse "
- T5341 Ospacks ship a .gitignore file in the root directory
- T5351 rhosydd: integration test failed
- T5384 LAVA-Phab bridge should mark test failures as bugs
- T5468 build-snapshot: allow to build packages without `autogen.sh` script
- T5487 Wi-Fi search button is missing in wifi application
- T5489 LAVA-Phab bridge does not report the release version or the board used of the tested image
- T5498 traprain: gnome-desktop-testing test failed
- T5512 apparmor-geoclue: run-test-geoclue test failed
- T5535 LAVA-Phab bridge should post a comment once tests stop failing
- T5576 bluez-hfp testcase fails
- T5591 apparmor-tumbler: run-test-sh test failed
- T5611 `kbd` package has broken/problematic dependencies
- T5659 Sample applications should not be part of the base SDK
- T5661 Seed reference manual should not be part of devhelp
- T5715 iptables-basic: test_iptables_list test failed
- T5739 Debos crash when a recipes embbed recipes with ostree-commit and ostree-deploy
- T5746 Both sysroot and devroot folder is exist in /opt path
- T5747 The /boot mountpoint is not empty
- T5748 System users are shipped in /usr/etc/passwd instead of /lib/passwd
- T5757 apparmor-gstreamer1-0: run-test-sh test failed
- T5763 Fix the RFS tiny images filesystem structure
- T5765 apparmor-gstreamer1-0: 6_apparmor-gstreamer1-0 test failed
- T5769 cgroups-resource-control: 8_cgroups-resource-control test failed
- T5770 folks-alias-persistence: 4_folks-alias-persistence test failed
- T5800 No test-text is displayed inside the Xephyr window.
- T5803 aa_get_complaints.sh script needs to be run with sudo permission
- T5815 apparmor-geoclue: 11_apparmor-geoclue test failed
- T5818 apparmor-tumbler: 9_apparmor-tumbler test failed
- T5819 cgroups-resource-control: 6_cgroups-resource-control test failed
- T5821 gettext-i18n: gettext-i18n test failed
- T5831 apparmor-geoclue: 10_apparmor-geoclue test failed
- T5833 apparmor-tumbler: 8_apparmor-tumbler test failed
- T5835 apparmor-geoclue: apparmor-geoclue test failed
- T5837 apparmor-utils: apparmor-utils test failed
- T5838 gettext-i18n: 11_gettext-i18n test failed
- T5842 tracker-indexing-local-storage: 14_tracker-indexing-local-storage test failed
- T5848 canterbury: 3_canterbury test failed
- T5852 Terminal comes up inside the Launcher
- T5857 gettext-i18n: 10_gettext-i18n test failed
- T5859 tracker-indexing-local-storage: 13_tracker-indexing-local-storage test failed
- T5860 tracker-indexing-local-storage: 17_tracker-indexing-local-storage test failed
- T5861 dbus-installed-tests: trying to overwrite mktemp.1.gz
- T5863 Songs/Videos don't play on i.MX6 with Frampton on internal images
- T5896 sdk-dbus-tools-bustle testcase is failing
- T5897 apparmor-ofono test fails
- T5899 apparmor-bluez-avrcp-volume test fails
- T5900 evolution-sync-bluetooth test fails
- T5901 eclipse-plugins-apertis-management package is missing
- T5902 A2DP test is failing as part of the bluez-phone test
- T5905 No audio/sound is heard while making a call in the bluez-hfp testcase
- T5906 Video does not stream in WebKit on the i.MX6 internal images
- T5913 ofono-tests package is missing
- T5929 connman-pan-tethering test fail
- T5930 connman-pan-network-access test fails
- T5931 connman-usb-tethering test fails
- T5933 ifconfig command need to be run with sudo permission
- T5935 libfolks-ofono25 package not found
- T5988 canterbury: 2_canterbury test failed
- T5991 newport: 7_newport test failed
- T5992 newport: 6_newport test failed
- T5993 rhosydd: 8_rhosydd test failed
- T5994 rhosydd: 7_rhosydd test failed
- T5997 traprain: 10_traprain test failed
- T5998 traprain: 9_traprain test failed
- T6001 eclipse-plugins-remote-debugging test fails
- T6003 Thumb nails of songs are not seen on the SDK
- T6008 The pacrunner package used for proxy autoconfiguration is not available
- T6009 Auto-resizing of the SDK display in VirtualBox is known to be broken
- T6011 Booting the SDK in VirtualBox appears to be broken with the 6.0.4 VirtualBox Guest Extensions
- T6012 webkit2gtk-event-handling-redesign test fails on the amd64 ostree images
- T6015 simple-agent not found
- T6016 kernel crash during the usb detaching
- T6017 bluez-avrcp-volume test fails on the sdk and base sdk
- T6018 bluez-hfp testcase fails on sdk
- T6024 folks-inspect: command not found
- T6052 Multimedia playback is broken on the internal i.MX6 images (internal 3.14 ADIT kernel issue)
- T6057 gupnp-services: 13_gupnp-services test failed
- T6064 apparmor-geoclue: 11_apparmor-geoclue test failed
- T6077 youtube Videos are not playing on upstream webkit2GTK
- T6078 Page scroll is lagging in Minibrowser on upstream webkit2GTK
- T6101 Disable timesyncd on images and set fallback time servers for ConnMan
- T6111 traprain: 7_traprain test failed
- T6130 frome: 5_frome test failed
- T6131 frome: 6_frome test failed
- T6216 Complete the import of all the packages in GitLab
- T6230 qa-report-app: Tests results are not available for the modules job
- T6231 gitlab-to-obs: Handle packages changing component across releases
- T6233 apparmor-session-lockdown-no-deny test fails on all platforms
- T6243 AppArmor ubercache support is no longer enabled after 18.12
- T6277 ldconfig: Warning comes up when we do an apt-get upgrade on the i.MX6
- T6291 Generated lavaphabbridge error report email provides wrong link for full report link
- T6292 gettext-i18n: 9_gettext-i18n test failed
- T6293 tracker-indexing-local-storage: 16_tracker-indexing-local-storage test failed
- T6296 gupnp-services: 11_gupnp-services test failed
- T6298 Identified licensing issue: gcc
- T6301 Failed to parse .netrc file
- T6306 apparmor-geoclue: 8_apparmor-geoclue test failed
- T6307 apparmor-pulseaudio: 14_apparmor-pulseaudio test failed
- T6308 apparmor-tracker: 21_apparmor-tracker test failed
- T6310 tracker-indexing-local-storage: 20_tracker-indexing-local-storage test failed
- T6317 ADE sometimes fails to install sysroot for armhf because the sysroot index file is corrupt
- T6326 "SDK results for ""sdk-*"" tests are not being listed in automated test reports"
- T6335 apparmor-geoclue: 7_apparmor-geoclue test failed
- T6336 apparmor-tracker: 20_apparmor-tracker test failed
- T6337 tracker-indexing-local-storage: 19_tracker-indexing-local-storage test failed
- T6377 systemctl list-units --failed --no-legend --no-pager --plain
- T6386 Mismatch between downloaded sysroot (apertis v2019 - 20190925.0 (arm64)) and expected one
- T789 Remove unnecessary folks package dependencies for automated tests
- T1361 Not able to load heavy sites on GtkClutterLauncher
- T1556 No connectivity Popup is not seen when the internet is disconnected.
- T1809 Upstream: linux-tools-generic should depend on lsb-release
- T1924 telepathy-ring: Review and fix SMS test
- T1960 remove INSTALL, aclocal.m4 files from langtoft
- T1964 Mildenhall compositor crops windows
- T2028 Documentation is not available from the main folder
- T2142 Power button appers to be disabled on target
- T2224 apparmor-libreoffice: libreoffice.normal.expected fails: ods_to_pdf: fail [Bugzilla bug #331]
- T2226 Network search pop-up isn't coming up in wi-fi settings
- T2299 Clutter_text_set_text API redraws entire clutterstage
- T2317 libgrassmoor: executes tracker-control binary
- T2318 mildenhall-settings: does not generate localization files from source
- T2367 Videos are hidden when Eye is launched
- T2475 Theme ,any F node which is a child of an E node is not working for Apertis widgets.
- T2483 Video doesn't play when toggling from full screen to detail view
- T2498 Simulator screen is not in center but left aligned
- T2593 Unsupported launguage text is not shown on the page in GtkClutterLauncher
- T2704 The video player window is split into 2 frames in default view
- T2781 Horizontal scroll is not shown on GtkClutterLauncher
- T2785 The background HMI is blank on clicking the button for Power OFF
- T2787 Only half of the hmi is covered when opening gnome.org
- T2788 Share links to facebook, twitter are nbt working in browser (GtkClutterLauncher)
- T2790 Background video is not played in some website with GtkClutterLauncher
- T2833 Interaction with PulseAudio not allowed by its AppArmor profile
- T2858 shapwick reads /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/passwd, and writes /var/root/.cache/dconf/
- T2889 Cannot open/view pdf documents in browser (GtkClutterLauncher)
- T2890 Zoom in feature does not work on google maps
- T2892 Printing hotdoc webpage directly results in misformatted document
- T2917 Images for the video links are not shown in news.google.com on GtkClutterLauncher
- T2995 Focus in launcher rollers broken because of copy/paste errors
- T3008 beep audio decoder gives errors continously
- T3161 If 2 drawers are activated, the most recent one hides behind the older one, instead of coming on top of older one.
- T3171 Unusable header in Traprain section in Devhelp
- T3174 Clang package fails to install appropriate egg-info needed by hotdoc
- T3183 gstreamer1-0-decode: Failed to load plugin warning
- T3219 Canterbury messes up kerning when .desktop uses unicode chars
- T3237 make check fails on libbredon package for wayland warnings
- T3280 Cannot open links within website like yahoo.com
- T3332 Compositor seems to hide the bottom menu of a webpage
- T3430 Spacing issues between text and selection box in website like amazon
- T3431 Content on a webpage doesn't load in sync with the scroll bar
- T3433 Resizing the window causes page corruption
- T3506 Confirm dialog status updated before selecting the confirm option YES/NO
- T3517 webview Y offset not considered to place, full screen video on youtube webpage
- T3537 cgroups-resource-control: test network-cgroup-prio-class failed
- T3563 GObject Generator link throws 404 error
- T3564 GLib, GIO Reference Manual links are incorrectly swapped
- T3580 Canterbury entry-point launching hides global popups, but only sometimes
- T3588 <abstractions/chaiwala-base> gives privileges that not every app-bundle should have
- T3631 Segmentation fault when disposing test executable of mildenhall
- T3647 The web runtime doesn't set the related view when opening new windows
- T3724 GtkClutterLauncher: Segfaults with mouse right-clicking
- T3729 ribchester: gnome-desktop-testing test times out
- T3730 canterbury: Most of the tests fail
- T3759 Status bar is not getting updated with the current song/video being played
- T3763 Compositor hides the other screens
- T3771 Roller problem in settings application
- T3797 Variable roller is not working
- T3798 In mildenhall, URL history speller implementation is incomplete.
- T3909 MildenhallSelectionPopupItem doesn't take ownership when set properties
- T3939 libshoreham packaging bugs
- T3940 libmildenhall-0-0 contains files that would conflict with a future libmildenhall-0-1
- T3955 rhosydd-client crashes when displaying vehicle properties for mock backend
- T3965 Rhosydd service crashes when client exits on some special usecases (Refer description for it)
- T3969 MildenhallSelPopupItem model should be changed to accept only gchar * instead of MildenhallSelPopupItemIconDetail for icons
- T3971 libbredon/seed uninstallable on target as they depend on libraries in :development
- T3972 webview-test should be shipped in libbredon-0-tests instead of libbredon-0-1
- T3973 bredon-0-launcher should be shipped in its own package, not in libbredon-0-1
- T3991 virtual keyboard is not showing for password input field of any webpage
- T3992 Steps like pattern is seen in the background in songs application
- T3996 Avoid unconstrained dbus AppArmor rules in frome
- T4005 Newport test fails on minimal images
- T4009 "connman: patch ""Use ProtectSystem=true"" rejected upstream"
- T4010 "connman: patch ""device: Don't report EALREADY"" not accepted upstream"
- T4027 webkit2GTK crash observed flicking on webview from other widget
- T4031 Mildenhall should install themes in the standard xdg data dirs
- T4046 Page rendering is not smooth in sites like www.yahoo.com
- T4048 HTML5 demo video's appear flipped when played on webkit2 based browser app
- T4050 Render theme buttons are not updating with respect to different zoom levels
- T4052 Rendering issue observed on websites like http://www.moneycontrol.com
- T4089 Crash observed on webruntime framework
- T4110 Crash observed on seed module when we accesing the D-Bus call method
- T4142 introspectable support for GObject property, signal and methods
- T4166 On multiple re-entries from settings to eye the compositor hangs
- T4243 Segmentation fault occurs while exectuing webkit2gtk-aligned-scroll test case
- T4244 zoom feature is not working as expected
- T4296 Segmentation fault is observed on closing the mildenhall-compositor
- T4348 Inital Roller mappings are misaligned on the HMI
- T4379 folks-metacontacts: folks-metacontacts-linking_sh.service failed
- T4381 folks-alias-persistence: folks-alias-persistence_sh.service failed
- T4383 folks-metacontacts-antilinking: folks-metacontacts-antilinking_sh.service failed
- T4384 folks-search-contacts: folks-search-contacts_sh.service failed
- T4386 apparmor-tracker: AssertionError: False is not true
- T4392 apparmor-gstreamer1.0: gstreamer1.0-decode: assertion failed
- T4395 tracker-indexing-local-storage: AssertionError: False is not true
- T4419 traprain: sadt: error: cannot find debian/tests/control
- T4420 canterbury: core-as-root and full-as-root tests failed
- T4421 ribchester: Job for generated-test-case-ribchester.service canceled
- T4490 webkit2gtk-drag-and-drop doesn't work with touch
- T5144 folks-alias-persistence: folks-alias-persistence test failed
- T5145 folks-extended-info: folks-extended-info test failed
- T5146 folks-metacontacts: folks-metacontacts-unlinking test failed
- T5147 folks-metacontacts: folks-metacontacts-linking test failed
- T5148 folks-metacontacts-antilinking: folks-metacontacts-antilinking test failed
- T5149 folks-search: folks-search-contacts test failed
- T5301 libsoup: /usr/lib/libsoup2.4/installed-tests/libsoup/ssl-test test failed
- T5411 folks-telepathy: folks-retrieve-contacts-telepathy test failed
- T5607 folks-metacontacts-unlinking: folks-metacontacts-unlinking test failed
- T5608 folks-search-contacts: folks-search-contacts test failed
- T5610 folks-metacontacts-linking: folks-metacontacts-linking test failed
- T5898 traffic-control-basic test fails
- T5989 frome: 6_frome test failed
- T5990 frome: 5_frome test failed
- T6047 Apertis FTBFS tracker
- T6065 apt-get dist-upgrade fails on SDK
- T6094 boot-no-crashes: 11_boot-no-crashes test failed