Apertis 18.06 Release
18.06 is the current stable development release of Apertis, a Debian/Ubuntu derivative distribution geared towards the creation of product-specific images for ARM (both the 32bit ARMv7 and 64-bit ARMv8 versions using the hardfloat ABI) and Intel x86-64 (64-bit) systems.
This Apertis release is based on top of the Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) LTS release with several customizations. Test results of the 18.06 release are available in the 18.06 test report.
|Apertis 18.06 images|
|Intel 64-bit||Intel 64 bit Minimal Image||Intel 64 bit Target Image||Intel 64 bit Development Image||Intel 64 bit SDK Image|
|ARM 32-bit (U-Boot)||ARM 32 bit Minimal Image|
|ARM 32-bit (MX6q Sabrelite)||ARM 32 bit Minimal Image|
|ARM 64-bit (U-Boot)||ARM 64 bit Minimal Image|
Apertis 18.06 repositories
$ deb https://repositories.apertis.org/apertis/ 18.06 target helper-libs development sdk hmi
Official supported images for i.MX6 Sabrelite boards
The i.MX6 Sabrelite board is now officially supported by the main image set with the new
mx6qsabrelite image variant.
The headless minimal images are fully supported, while images with the full grahics stack are still in the works.
This means that anybody can deploy the publicly available
mx6qsabrelite system images on i.MX6 Sabrelite and start experimenting with Apertis on their hardware.
Linux kernel v4.14 available on all the supported platforms
The 4.14 LTS version of the mainline Linux kernel is now used by every supported platform. Previously different releases were used on each platform, ranging from 3.14 to 4.4 and 4.9, all build from different source packages.
Apertis now offers support of all the supported platforms using kernels build from a single, common source packages, providing an updated and supported baseline and simplifying maintainance and development of new features.
SDK for platform development
The focus for the Apertis SDK so far has been centered on application development but from this release we started to make it more useful for platform developers that want to hack to the base Apertis system. In this release new packages for the SDK have been made available, configuration tweaks have been applied and several little nuisances have been addressed.
Code hosting on GitLab
All the Apertis code repositories have been migrated to the new GitLab instance hosted by the Apertis team.
GitLab brings Apertis many benefits over the previous setup:
- better web UI
- site-wide source code search
- the availability of a merge-request based review workflow
- finer grained access controls
- built-in continuous automation
Phabricator is still used for task tracking and for patch review. A GitLab merge-request based review workflow to replace the latter is being defined.
The CGit code hosting service has been obsoleted and is now read-only. Redirects have been put in place to route requests from the old service to tne new one.
Closed the CI loop by automatically opening issues on automated test failures
A way to automatically file new bugs and update them when a test is failing has been designed and its implementation is being finalized.
A new service gets tests results out of LAVA, processes them and then connects to the Phabricator APIs to open new task or update existing ones.
Managers can now rely on the tasks on Phabricator to check the health of the testsuite and developers get timely updates about the latest status of failing tests.
A priority level has been assigned to each testcase in order to better schedule their execution, to clearly identify release blockers and to prioritize maintainance and improvements.
Testcases ported to run on the OSTree images
More testcases have been ported to avoid dependencies in a way that they can be run without installing new packages on the base image.
This has two benefits:
- makes testing more valuable by not perturbing the actual base image
- allows those tests to be executed on OSTree images
Test ADE as part of the continuous test rounds
Tests exercising cross-building and remote debugging using the ADE (Apertis Development Environment) tool are now part of the weekly test reports.
Build and integration
Image recipes cleanups
The Apertis image recipes have seen several cleanups and improvements in order to make them simpler, faster, more robust, and easier to maintain and customize. Further improvements are planned and being worked on.
Design and documentation
All documents available in PDF format
Line-numbered PDF versions of the design documents are available for download in order to provide a better offline reading experience.
Improving storage and handling of the definitions and results of testcases
A new set of concept documents has been worked on to address some shortcomings in the current infrastructure about the best way to store testcase definitions, to handle test results and to process those results to provide reliable reporting.
Improvement to the System updates and rollback document
A list of use-cases has been added to the System updates and rollback design document in order to guide the evaluation of features and approaches.
Several other improvements and clarifications have been applied to the document based on the feedback gathered.
Security aspects of OSTree
The updates and rollback design document has been updated to cover the security aspects of OSTree, describing how updates are verified and how it relates to other technologies that can be used in verified boot solutions.
Examples of key OSTree commands for Apertis images
A few OSTree commands have been collected in Docs/OSTree to provide a reference of important operations for developers:
- updating the system
- list locally available deployments
- rolling back to previous releases
- enabling temporary read-write access to the system
Deprecations and ABI/API breaks
During this release cycle we have continued to mark obsolete or problematic APIs with the ABI break tag as a way to clear technical debt in future.
developmentimage type is deprecated in favour of extending the
- From the next release Apertis will no longer ship
developmentimages, covering the use-cases addressed by them by adding the needed packages to the
Mildenhall UI framework
- The Mildenhall UI toolkit is deprecated in favour of other UI toolkits such as GTK+, Qt, or HTML5-based solutions
- From the next release Apertis may no longer ship the Mildenhall UI toolkit nor any accompanying libraries, as the underlying Clutter library has been deprecated upstream for some years now.
- From the next release Canterbury and Ribchester will only offer the APIs provided by the respective
-coreand the additional APIs offered by the
-fullpackages will be dropped
- SSH addresses for Git repositories need to be manually updated
- With the move to GitLab the location of the Apertis Git repositories has changed: HTTP(S) redirects have been put in place to transparently route requests, but no similar mechanism is available for SSH, so SSH remotes will need to be updated manually
xtermis no longer available on the SDK images, replaced by
- The lack of support for "modern" features like supports copy-and-paste in
xterm<code> confused some users and it has been replaced by <code>xfce4-terminal
Apertis infrastructure tools
The Apertis Debian Stretch tools repositoriy provides packages for
lqa, Debos and deps, LAVA v2, OBS 2.7,
$ deb https://repositories.apertis.org/debian/ stretch tools
Image daily builds, as well as release builds can be found at:
Image build tools can be found in the Apertis tools repositories.
The Image build infrastructure document provides an overview of the image building process and the involved services.
- T5061 Tiny container can't be started in non-privileged mode with AppArmor
- T5068 Unable to boot an image for the second time on imx6q-sabrelite board for LAVA setup
- T1882 connman shows incorrect Powered status for the bluetooth technology
- T2043 property changed signal in org.bluez.Network1 is not emiting when PAN disconnects
- T2474 cgroups-resource-control: blkio-weights tests failed
- T2782 libsoup-unit: ssl-test failed for ARM
- T2850 Fix folks EDS tests to not be racy
- T2853 GStreamer playbin prioritises imxeglvivsink over clutterautovideosink
- T2861 gupnp-services: test service failed
- T2896 Crash when initialising egl on ARM target
- T2946 Pulse Audio volume control doesn't launch as a separate window on SDK
- T3121 Test apps are failing in Liblightwood with the use of GTest
- T3189 apparmor-tracker: underlying_tests failed
- T3217 VirtualBox display freezes when creating multiple notifications at once and interacting (hover and click) with them
- T3233 Ribchester: deadlock when calling RemoveApp() right after RollBack()
- T3291 tracker tests: Error creating thumbnails: No poster key found in metadata
- T3292 apparmor-folks: unable to link contacts to test unlinking
- T3319 mx6qsabrelite: linking issue with libgstimxeglvivsink.so and libgstimxvpu.so gstreamer plugins
- T3321 libgles2-vivante-dev is not installable
- T3474 gupnp-services tests test_service_browsing and test_service_introspection fail on target-arm image
- T3568 folks: random tests fail
- T3920 arm-linux-gnueabihf-pkg-config does not work with sysroots installed by `ade`
- T3970 Mismatching gvfs/gvfs-common and libatk1.0-0/libatk1.0-data package versions in the archive
- T4063 Observing multiple service instances in all 17.06 SDK images
- T4092 Containers fail to load on Gen4 host
- T4242 gnutls depends on old abandoned package gmp4 due to licensing reasons
- T4293 Preseed action is needed for Debos
- T4303 Debos: allow to use partition number for 'raw' action
- T4305 Debos: mountpoints which are mounted only in build time
- T4306 Debos: option for kernel command parameters for 'filesystem-deplay' action
- T4307 ribchester-core causes apparmor denies on non-btrfs minimal image
- T4308 Debos: changes 'resolv.conf' during commands execution chroot
- T4312 Volume Control application hangs on opening it
- T4394 gupnp-services: browsing and introspection tests fail
- T4397 sqlite: Many tests fail for target amd64, armhf and sdk
- T4399 dbus-installed-tests: service failed because a timeout was exceeded
- T4407 boot-no-crashes: ANOM_ABEND found in journalctl logs
- T4409 tracker-indexing-mass-storage test case fails
- T4422 do-branching fails at a late stage cloning OBS binary repos
- T4444 A 2-3 second lag between the speakers is observed when a hfp connection is made over bluetooth
- T4463 ade process fails to start gdbserver if a first try has failed
- T4502 SDK hangs when trying to execute bluez-hfp testcase
- T4503 OSTree testsuite hangs the gouda Jenkins build slave
- T4553 Couldn't install application: error seen when trying to install to target using ade
- T4568 Ribchester mount unit depends on Btrfs
- T4570 Access denied message seen when we shutdown an i.MX6 or Minnowboard max target
- T4660 Eclipse Build is not working for HelloWorld App
- T4693 Not able to create namespace for AppArmor container on `mx6qsabrelite` board
- T4755 Seek/Pause option does not work correctly on YouTube
- T4772 Failed unmounting /var bind mount error seen on shutting down an i.MX6/Minnowboard with Minimal ARM-32/AMD64 image
- T4789 sqlite-veryquick: analyzer1 cannot run because ./sqlite3_analyzer is not available
- T4954 Apps like songs, artists etc are not offser correctly by the compositor window
- T4955 Double tapping on any empty space in the songs app's screen results in the compositor window hinding the left ribbon
- T4956 Back button is hidden by the compositor window in apps like songs, artists etc
- T4962 Ensure that the uploaded linux package version uniquely identifies a single commit
- T5027 Cantebury test case is missing
- T5053 Canterbury needs to explicitly killed to relauch the Mildenhall compositor
- T5070 Mildenhall compositor gets offset when we open an app like songs
- T5072 Connman fails to connect when hotplugging Wifi dongle
- T5075 Wifi needs disabling and then enabling after boot to get it working
- T789 Remove unnecessary folks package dependencies for automated tests
- T1361 Not able to load heavy sites on GtkClutterLauncher
- T1556 No connectivity Popup is not seen when the internet is disconnected.
- T1809 Upstream: linux-tools-generic should depend on lsb-release
- T1960 remove INSTALL, aclocal.m4 files from langtoft
- T1964 Mildenhall compositor crops windows
- T2028 Documentation is not available from the main folder
- T2142 Power button appers to be disabled on target
- T2224 apparmor-libreoffice: libreoffice.normal.expected fails: ods_to_pdf: fail [Bugzilla bug #331]
- T2226 Network search pop-up isn't coming up in wi-fi settings
- T2235 mxkineticscrollview-smooth-pan:Free scroll doesn't work
- T2299 Clutter_text_set_text API redraws entire clutterstage
- T2317 libgrassmoor: executes tracker-control binary
- T2318 mildenhall-settings: does not generate localization files from source
- T2367 Videos are hidden when Eye is launched
- T2475 Theme ,any F node which is a child of an E node is not working for Apertis widgets.
- T2483 Video doesn't play when toggling from full screen to detail view
- T2498 Simulator screen is not in center but left aligned
- T2560 Back option is missing as part of the tool tip
- T2593 Unsupported launguage text is not shown on the page in GtkClutterLauncher
- T2704 The video player window is split into 2 frames in default view
- T2781 Horizontal scroll is not shown on GtkClutterLauncher
- T2785 The background HMI is blank on clicking the button for Power OFF
- T2787 Only half of the hmi is covered when opening gnome.org
- T2788 Share links to facebook, twitter are nbt working in browser (GtkClutterLauncher)
- T2790 Background video is not played in some website with GtkClutterLauncher
- T2833 Interaction with PulseAudio not allowed by its AppArmor profile
- T2858 shapwick reads /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/passwd, and writes /var/root/.cache/dconf/
- T2889 Cannot open/view pdf documents in browser (GtkClutterLauncher)
- T2890 Zoom in feature does not work on google maps
- T2892 Printing hotdoc webpage directly results in misformatted document
- T2917 Images for the video links are not shown in news.google.com on GtkClutterLauncher
- T2995 Focus in launcher rollers broken because of copy/paste errors
- T3008 beep audio decoder gives errors continously
- T3161 If 2 drawers are activated, the most recent one hides behind the older one, instead of coming on top of older one.
- T3164 Album Art Thumbnail missing in Thumb view in ARTIST Application
- T3171 Unusable header in Traprain section in Devhelp
- T3174 Clang package fails to install appropriate egg-info needed by hotdoc
- T3183 gstreamer1-0-decode: Failed to load plugin warning
- T3219 Canterbury messes up kerning when .desktop uses unicode chars
- T3237 make check fails on libbredon package for wayland warnings
- T3280 Cannot open links within website like yahoo.com
- T3332 Compositor seems to hide the bottom menu of a webpage
- T3430 Spacing issues between text and selection box in website like amazon
- T3431 Content on a webpage doesn't load in sync with the scroll bar
- T3433 Resizing the window causes page corruption
- T3506 Confirm dialog status updated before selecting the confirm option YES/NO
- T3517 webview Y offset not considered to place, full screen video on youtube webpage
- T3537 cgroups-resource-control: test network-cgroup-prio-class failed
- T3563 GObject Generator link throws 404 error
- T3564 GLib, GIO Reference Manual links are incorrectly swapped
- T3569 Album art is missing in one of the rows of the songs application
- T3580 Canterbury entry-point launching hides global popups, but only sometimes
- T3588 <abstractions/chaiwala-base> gives privileges that not every app-bundle should have
- T3631 Segmentation fault when disposing test executable of mildenhall
- T3647 The web runtime doesn't set the related view when opening new windows
- T3724 GtkClutterLauncher: Segfaults with mouse right-clicking
- T3729 ribchester: gnome-desktop-testing test times out
- T3730 canterbury: Most of the tests fail
- T3759 Status bar is not getting updated with the current song/video being played
- T3763 Compositor hides the other screens
- T3769 playback system clutter-gst-playback init() system is crashing due to which songs app is not launching again
- T3770 Songs do not start playing from the beginning but instead start a little ahead
- T3771 Roller problem in settings application
- T3797 Variable roller is not working
- T3798 In mildenhall, URL history speller implementation is incomplete.
- T3909 MildenhallSelectionPopupItem doesn't take ownership when set properties
- T3939 libshoreham packaging bugs
- T3940 libmildenhall-0-0 contains files that would conflict with a future libmildenhall-0-1
- T3955 rhosydd-client crashes when displaying vehicle properties for mock backend
- T3965 Rhosydd service crashes when client exits on some special usecases (Refer description for it)
- T3969 MildenhallSelPopupItem model should be changed to accept only gchar * instead of MildenhallSelPopupItemIconDetail for icons
- T3971 libbredon/seed uninstallable on target as they depend on libraries in :development
- T3972 webview-test should be shipped in libbredon-0-tests instead of libbredon-0-1
- T3973 bredon-0-launcher should be shipped in its own package, not in libbredon-0-1
- T3991 virtual keyboard is not showing for password input field of any webpage
- T3992 Steps like pattern is seen in the background in songs application
- T3996 Avoid unconstrained dbus AppArmor rules in frome
- T4005 Newport test fails on minimal images
- T4009 "connman: patch ""Use ProtectSystem=true"" rejected upstream"
- T4010 "connman: patch ""device: Don't report EALREADY"" not accepted upstream"
- T4027 webkit2GTK crash observed flicking on webview from other widget
- T4031 Mildenhall should install themes in the standard xdg data dirs
- T4046 Page rendering is not smooth in sites like www.yahoo.com
- T4048 HTML5 demo video's appear flipped when played on webkit2 based browser app
- T4050 Render theme buttons are not updating with respect to different zoom levels
- T4052 Rendering issue observed on websites like http://www.moneycontrol.com
- T4056 Frampton application doesn't load when we re-launch them after clicking the back button
- T4089 Crash observed on webruntime framework
- T4110 Crash observed on seed module when we accesing the D-Bus call method
- T4142 introspectable support for GObject property, signal and methods
- T4166 On multiple re-entries from settings to eye the compositor hangs
- T4243 Segmentation fault occurs while exectuing webkit2gtk-aligned-scroll test case
- T4244 zoom feature is not working as expected
- T4296 Segmentation fault is observed on closing the mildenhall-compositor
- T4325 Building cargo and rustc in 17.12 for Firefox Quantum 57.0
- T4326 Blank screen seen on executing last-resort-message testcase
- T4348 Inital Roller mappings are misaligned on the HMI
- T4379 folks-metacontacts: folks-metacontacts-linking_sh.service failed
- T4380 folks-telepathy: folks-retrieve-contacts-telepathy_sh.service failed
- T4381 folks-alias-persistence: folks-alias-persistence_sh.service failed
- T4383 folks-metacontacts-antilinking: folks-metacontacts-antilinking_sh.service failed
- T4384 folks-search-contacts: folks-search-contacts_sh.service failed
- T4386 apparmor-tracker: AssertionError: False is not true
- T4390 apparmor-folks: Several tests fail
- T4392 apparmor-gstreamer1.0: gstreamer1.0-decode: assertion failed
- T4395 tracker-indexing-local-storage: AssertionError: False is not true
- T4396 didcot: test_open_uri: assertion failed
- T4419 traprain: sadt: error: cannot find debian/tests/control
- T4420 canterbury: core-as-root and full-as-root tests failed
- T4421 ribchester: Job for generated-test-case-ribchester.service canceled
- T4423 frome: `/tmp/frome-*': No such file or directory
- T4424 apparmor-pulseaudio: pulseaudio.normal.expected_underlying_tests fails
- T4490 webkit2gtk-drag-and-drop doesn't work with touch
- T4846 Icons for Apps like Music Settings are missing on the OSTree based images